In 1956 Renato Bisazza established his mosaic manufacturing business in Alte (Vicenza) and called it Vetricolor, also the name of the first standard production tile manufactured during that time – a tiny square of colored glass (measuring 20x20mm) that went on to become legendary for the company. This visionary approach led the founder to create a new product for interior and exterior decoration, utilizing industrial manufacturing systems, while maintaining the artistic workmanship typical of the mosaic tradition. During the 1960s, glass mosaic proved to be the perfect material for cladding the exterior of buildings, thanks to the extremely high degree of weatherproofing it offers. Some of the most high-profile jobs included cladding the facades of public, residential and
commercial buildings in Italy and France.